With the massive financial muscle of the Qatar Sports Investment Authority snapping up talent like Neymar and Kylian Mbappe for unheard of prices last season, it was a no-brainer as to who the French champions would be. While the main objective of the Paris Saint-Germain management is to win the coveted UEFA Champions League, their money splurge has created a side which looks at least impossible to beat in Ligue 1. The MNC (Mbappe-Neymar-Cavani) combine is expected to provide the winning thrust upfront while the midfield is packed with names like Angel Di María, Julian Draxler, Adrien Rabiot and Marco Verratti. The defence looks solid marshalled by the indefatigable Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and Dani Alves. Of some excitement at the Parc de paris is the arrival of the legendary Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon from Juventus. 40-year old Buffon complements a defensive that could be touted as the best in the business. At odds of 2/17, PSG are rank favourites to take the Ligue 1 title for the 2018-19 season.
At a distant 14/1, Lyon are the second contenders for the French title. Although spending €58.5 million, Lyon have chosen to stay away from buying significant names. They already have in their ranks players like Memphis Depay, Nabil Fekir (who was really good at the WC 2018 for France) and Mariano who can pack a punch, scoring 55 Ligue 1 goals between them last season. On the back of the much-improved French duo Fekir and Depay, Lyon are expecting to do better than the 3rd spot they achieved last season.
Marseille at odds of 14/1 are third in line to take the French title. Coach Rudy Garcia will be looking to Florian Thauvin to give the team the winning thrust. With 22 goals, Thauvin was one of Ligue 1’s top scorers in 2017-18. Apart from him, Valere Germain and Dimitri Payet are expected to give the attack further momentum. Marseille were placed 4th last season at 77 points, one point behind Lyon. This time around, both Lyon and Marseille are expected to benefit from a Monaco weakened by the exit of some of their key players.
Bookmakers are giving Monaco odds of 57/4 and fourth in line as far as contention for the French title goes. This is two notches below the 2nd place they managed in the 2017-18 season with 80 points. Monaco have been hurt by exit of significant names like Kylian Mbappe to PSG, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy to Manchester City, players that had helped the side win the 2016-17 Ligue 1 title. The only major player they have left now is their striker Radamel Falcao. Veteran Croatian goalkeeper Danijel Subasic between the posts and club old hands Andrea Raggi and Kamil Glik will form the bulwark of the Monaco defence. But all this is not likely to take them anywhere near the French crown this season.
While PSG will win the league the odds just aren’t worth it so let’s look to the top 3 betting market and the selection is Lyon.
Recommended Bet: Lyon to finish in the top 3 of France Ligue 1.
Best Odds: Bet365 @ 4/5*
*odds accurate as of Aug 17 2018 and are subject to change
New Customers only. Up to £100 in Bet Credits. Sign up, deposit £5 or more to your account and bet365 will match your qualifying deposit in Bet Credits when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply.
Significant Terms and Conditions
• Available to new customers only. Make a qualifying deposit of £5* or more and claim the offer within 30 days of registering your account to qualify for a 100% matched amount in Bet Credits, up to a maximum of £100*. Once claimed, your Bet Credits will be held in your account balance and are non-withdrawable.
• To release your Bet Credits for use, you must place qualifying bets to the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at €100*) and they must settle within 30 days of claiming the offer. Only qualifying bets settled after claiming the offer will count towards this requirement.
• Deposits made using NETeller, Skrill or Skrill 1-Tap will not count as your qualifying deposit.
• Bets placed must meet certain conditions to count towards the release of your Bet Credits:
• Must contain at least one selection at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater.
• In market/fixture combinations that only have two or three potential outcomes (for example Soccer Full Time Result), where you have placed bets on more than one potential outcome, either pre-match or In-Play, only the outcome with your highest cumulative stake will count.
• Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, only the remaining active stake will count.
• Where a bet has been edited using our Edit Bet feature, only the new stake on the new bet will count.
• Fully Cashed Out, Instant Games, Gaming, void bets or bets placed via our Telephone Betting service will not count.
• Your Bet Credits are non-withdrawable, and Bet Credits stakes are not included in any returns. Any returns from Bet Credits placed will be added to your Withdrawable Balance. Bet Credits cannot be used on certain products, offers/promotions and bet types. See full Terms and Conditions for details.
• Your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed if your account is inactive for 90 consecutive days.
*or currency equivalent
T&Cs, time limits and exclusions apply.